Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Monday January 5, 2004 at 01:36
RTI Installer
March 2002
Ok,
First go to this address

[Link: antennaweb.org] and locate all the available broadcast towers that carry the channels you are interested in

Locate an area in your attic farthest away from any metal obstructions; further if there is another house near your house, or a big fat tree, that might block the signal, try to find a spot in your attic that gives you a work around. I have found it beneficial to drag a TV and the HD Box up to the attic, plug in one of the antennas and just move it around to see what I can get before I install the whole mess. If you can get some channels doing this, even if they are kind of intermittent, you’re in good shape.

If you have the room in your attic. Install an 8-foot pole and mount the antennas one above the other. Make sure the pole is as perfectly level as you can get it, mount both of your antennas facing the general direction indicated by antenna web. Usually the two antennas will be pointing in a split V kind of arrangement. If you can get 4228’s in to your attic (they do come apart a bit) use them as they are a lot more powerful than the 4221’s.

If you are not experienced with home AC wiring, hire someone to run a ground for you, If are experienced, you can usually find a junction box or the back side of a can light or something that has a ground in it. If the ground is a #12, run a #12 bare or green to the first screen reflector and bond to the crossbar with a ground clamp, and then jump from that one to the next antenna. Do not use any coax splitters. Use only 1 X 300 to 75 ohm adapter. Use number 12 copper wire and make jumps between the wing nut posts on each antenna, meaning, each antenna has a pair of wing nut posts on them. This is where you attach the 75 to 300 ohm adapters, but in this case, you use only the 1 adapter on only the first antenna. To attach the second antenna, run your #12 wire from the first wing nut on antenna #1 to the first wing nut on antenna #2. Then run a jump wire from wing nut #2 on antenna #1 to the 2nd wing nut on antenna #2. Do not let the jump wires touch any part of the antennas except for the wing nut terminals?

Run your coax from the adapter to your HD Box that should be with you in the attic. Work on moving just 1 antenna at a time mark on the post with a pencil, which stations come in best at that particular position. Try to bring in the most stations you can with the one antenna, then try to catch the stragglers with the second antenna. Sometimes it takes a while to get a good combination between the two before you get what you want.

When you get to a point where you have all the stations your going to get, I recommend running a solid core copper RG-6 cable directly from the adapter to the location where your box will reside. The longer the run, the more it will reduce your signal. So try to make the run short as possible.

Tip!
I have done a couple of installs where I got great results, by catching the signals that were bouncing off another building across the street.

Note on amplifiers!
Try not to use them unless you have to. Some times they do miracles and sometimes, they just amplify your problems.

Good luck!

Never Ignore the Obvious -- H. David Gray

Hosting Services by ipHouse