Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 33 made on Friday February 18, 2005 at 10:19
jergenf
Lurking Member
February 2005
To the RTI installer.

I'm considering buying 2 CM4228 antennas and stacking them horizontally (side by side). The reason for side by side is to make the antenna more directional, example half the beam width, 3db gain and 3db increase in F/B ratio). Also hoping to pull in Buffalo, Syracuse, Watertown and various Canadian cities from Rochester.

To phase the two antennas I was planning to use two equal length 300 ohm twin leads which would either connect to the 300-75 converter or directly to the preamp (if the preamp has 300 ohm input). I've heard some have used two 75 converters connected to a coupler to combine them but if anything is out of phase then the antenna subtract and produce two split beams instead.

Also in order to stack them some type of rectangular frame would need to be made. The frame with the antennas would be balanced using counterweights because it would be placed on a rotor. The rotor I have is the top of the line ($1000) unit intented to move a giant ham antenna and has a digital control unit that allows 1 degree increments (example enter in a vector and the computer controls the position).

Please share you thoughts on my idea and any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Hosting Services by ipHouse