Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 35 made on Monday June 6, 2005 at 02:26
Steve Garn
November 2003
I guess we're lucky in the phoenix metro area. I've installed a couple thousand antennas in the past 15 years.

I have had the greatest success when using a conventional antenna for attic and even rooftop installs. It takes a bit of work to unfold the antenna in the right direction but I have found that if you are 20 miles direct view to the towers, even a Channelmaster 5646 will run 4 TV's sharp as a tack. We have used the Radio Shack $34 antenna (they used to call it the UV-70 or 90) for a number of years as well - a bit larger with more gain for both U & V.

The antenna is mounted to the upper rafters with a standard side mount mast clamp and schedule 40 PVC to keep it above the romex (to eliminate static on lower VHF's). We mount it closest to the side of the home where the transmission towers are, with as little metal obstructions in front of or behind. In a troublesome area we get on the cell phone and talk picture quality with the guy downstairs as we adjust it to eliminate ghosting and increase gain. Pretty straight forward. Very rarely do we amplify a system.

We have had tremendous success with the Wineguard HD7210 Ghostkiller for behind the mountains/in the mountains up to 55 miles away on up to 4 TV's. The Ghostkiller is excellent down a corredor with high rises as well.

Bowtie antennas, rotors, omnidirectional, amplified antennas, 12 foot boom antennas - a lot of hocus pocus IMHO. We try to make them work if they're existing but have found nearly all nothing but a waste of time - too much adjustment, ghosting from the omnidirects, low gain on UHF/ too much on the VHF side on the monster antennas.

The problems we don't encounter here are the challenge of try to get two broadcast areas (stacking), thick forest that kills UHF and tons of hills and mountains (although we have some).

There isn't much you can do for some problems though - Microwaves, leaking transformers that emit RF, towers on the other side of power generating or distribution stations fire/police/cab transmitting stations etc. You can add filters to some of this but it won't kill it all.

I don't see a point or purpose for grounding an antenna in an attic. If lightning hits the antenna it has already passed go and collected $200. I don't imagine antennas build up static charge in attics either. If there is a true purpose for grounding let me know. I'm not that old and I still need a tip or two.

Point the antenna at the Towers, keep it off the floor of the rafters, use only RG-6 and make good fittings. Keep it simple.
Manuals?! We don't need no stinking manuals! a.. er..

Hosting Services by ipHouse